Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Paleo Sheperds Pie

Over the weekend I was craving some serious comfort food. I wanted something that would ring in the fall season for my kitchen but not bust my gut. I have always wanted to try Sheperds Pie and this recipe checked off every box on my wish list!! AND there are plenty of leftovers to last me for this weeks lunches! Score! You have got to try this out



This recipe has two ingredients you may or may not have heard of before - Ghee & Veganaise. Ghee is just clarified butter. You can make your own at home, use the links above to purchase, or buy at most every grocery store. It's kept near the regular butter. Veganaise is like mayonnaise but without all of the junk. just make sure you get the soy free version! 


**Start with a BIG sauté skillet.. I made the mistake of using a medium sized one and had to transfer to a larger one half way through cooking

Mashed Potatoes:
3 medium potatoes and 1 sweet potato (this is what I had in the house.. You can use 4 of either type or mix and match the two. I personally liked the way adding one sweet potato in tasted!). 
3 Tbsp soy free Veganaise
2Tbsp ghee
Salt and pepper to taste

Pie Filling:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (4Tbsp)
Veggies of your choice.. I used:
2 medium brown onions
6 carrots peeled and sliced
3 stalks of celery  (about a half of a bunch)
1 lb sliced mushrooms 
3 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp sea salt
1.5 Tsp Dried Oregano
6 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Lbs ground meat (I used turkey but beef would be awesome too!)
1/2 cup beef broth (no soy, no preservatives)
1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Black Pepper (a few dashes)


-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
-Start boiling the potatoes and then proceed with the filling making...
-Add all of the veggies, garlic, EVOO, 1Tbsp salt to the LARGE skillet and sauté for about 10 min... After the veggies are starting to get soft add the tomato paste, the beef broth, the rest of the salt, pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, and all of the ground meat to the LARGE skillet. Break up the meat into small pieces and cook until no longer pink.


-While the meat and veggies are cooking take tender potatoes out of the boiling water and roughly chop them up in a bowl. Add the Veganaise, ghee, pepper and salt (I liked lot but start small and then add a little at a time until desired taste is achieved). Mash the potatoes.


**I left the skins on but you can remove prior to mashing if you prefer*

-Pour the meat mixture into a baking / casserole dish. Spread the potatoes on top in a thin layer leaving a quarter of an inch uncovered border around the edge. I sprayed the top of the potatoes lightly with olive oil to really get a little crunch on top - but that step is optional! 



Bake for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes start browning and the meat is bubbling up in the border area. It will be VERY hot out of the oven so let it cool before eating! There are so many variations that can be done to this so feel free to let loose and go wild!! Enjoy!





button

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! This looks so delicious! This time of year I want nothing but comfort food so I am on a mission to find clean healthy versions of it. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I am going to try this with mashed cauliflower for the top..looks Delish:)

    ReplyDelete